Life in France

A not every day story of normal people trying to live their dream in France starting at the beginning and ending?

Thursday, December 16, 2004

Flushed with Success

I just had to use that as a title after the last post! Childish I know but who cares its my blog so there. The toilet works fine and as far as I can see the recycling of waste to compost is also doing its thing so in about three months time I should compost to go on the vegetable garden. HHmmm that is when I have made the vegetable garden. No rush, got three months.
In the meantime I've got some rendering to do inside ready for plastering. They use something called chaux here to mix up to make the render so that's what I've bought. Mixed it all up ok and started to put it on the wall. First problem, it keeps falling off! It's not sticking like it should, re-read instructions nope done everything it says. Phone a friend, ahh he says yes that's a common problem, you have to wet the wall first and then apply the chaux mix. ahhh ok we'll give that a go then. So, wall wet and apply the chaux, still falls off, the problem is this time is that now I've wet the walls the extra water has diluted the chaux to such a state that it now too watery. Guess I'll get it right eventually. Made a new mix a little thicker and wet the walls hurrah success it stuck, you got to give it to the professionals they make it look sooo easy. It took me all day to do one wall which is about 11sq. metres!!!! At that rate it will take me a week to do one room. They do say that practice makes perfect though so off I go again......

1 Comments:

  • At 12:05 am, Blogger globalrenovation said…

    Add sicalatex to your chaux and you will be amazed at how much easier is life! You can also tint your chaux (mix well and dose your tints carefully) for some really nice effects. Remember that as with ciment- it dries a different color (one batch of sand to the next can even be a problem). Try test batches that you leave 24 hours to get the real color. Sicalatex can eliminate alot of saltpeter and humidity problems as well! You are one step from learning badigeons and glacies!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home