Life in France

A not every day story of normal people trying to live their dream in France starting at the beginning and ending?

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Specific Gravity

After a week of being on my knees..;yes i know my place in life......i have finished varnishing the bloody balcony... it is a job that has to be done but it felt like painting the Forth road bridge. It just went on and on and on and on. You get the idea? Soo just for a little light relief as it was the first week of November and the fruit i put in to macerate in alcohol was ready to bottle i thought it would be a good idea to get on and do it. I had done two lots of fruit, one of blackberries and one of raspberries. It was now just a case of straining out the fruit and putting the remaining liquid into a new clean bottle. Simple eh? Of course it was.. Fill up bottle with flavoured liquid firewater and ooops a little bit left ah well better taste it..hmmm very nice... cough splutter jeessus loss of voice....wooowww Better do next bottle..and the next.....

This stuff is made from a mixture of fresh fruit, neat alcohol 90% proof and special fruit alcohol 40%proof left in a darkened place for three months!!! It is now bottled and ready for drinking in another month or so just in time for christmas. I could do with a specific gravity hydrometer to find out just how strong it is.. i reckon about 60/70%proof with a hint of fruit flavouring.. whatever, it upset my sense of gravity as i was back on my knees crawling back to the sofa where luscious was already reclining after a little sample as well.

Such a simple peasants life we have here.....

5 Comments:

  • At 2:44 am, Blogger Ally said…

    It sounds similar to sloe gin? I haven't made any this year, but it does blow your head off :).

     
  • At 1:50 am, Blogger Martin Stickland said…

    Hey, I’ve made sloe gin too this year for the first time and it is nicely doing it's business in my cupboards. We have also made Perry (pears & apples) and this should be ready to drink on my mates 40'th in a few weeks time. How many miles to a gallon do you recon you will get out of your home brew?

    I must say that your life sounds idyllic mister peasant.....bottoms up to you dear sir!!!

     
  • At 3:52 am, Blogger the peasant said…

    Hi ally.
    Sloe gin good stuff as well. how the wine racking going?

    Martin. i reckon if i put it in the bike and went drag racing with it i would break the 6 second quarter. Its fumes are enough to make your eyes water!
    cheers me dears!

     
  • At 8:23 am, Blogger Ally said…

    I've racked the merlot five gallon kit I bought to be ready for christmas. Tastes nice so far :). But I haven't had time to rack my elderberry - it's got an inch of sludge in the bottom and is desperate need of some TLC. I'll get round to it next week, hopefully.

    Would you like to pop round and varnish my stairs now you've finished your balcony? :).

     
  • At 4:36 am, Blogger the peasant said…

    ally: varnish brush at the ready..when would you like me over? alternatively, you could do your varnishing and then come over here for a rest....;

     

Post a Comment

<< Home