Life in France

A not every day story of normal people trying to live their dream in France starting at the beginning and ending?

Monday, March 21, 2005

Closer to Heaven

Today I have to climb up a ladder to put some render around a window that the builder put in for us. It's only a small window in an end gable wall but it is about 25' above the ground. Now that may not sound very high to you but to someone that doesn't like heights or ladders at all it is a long way up! The ladder seems to wobble an awful lot and I have to try and hang a small bucket of cement render from it and then hang on to the ladder and fill in around the window. I have to do this as at the moment there is a gap all round the window that lets in water. I tried to lean out of the window to do it but as it is so small I couldn't lean far enough out to reach the gap! The walls here are about 3' thick which doesn't help either. Just going up the ladder to make sure it is ok was enough to get my legs wobbling a bit. Great brave person that I am I thought about closing my eyes but that's not much good if you are trying to work as well. Thought about using scaffolding but that would cost nearly 200 pounds to hire so it looks like its going to have to be the ladder. If I pass a rope through the window and tie it to a beam in the house and the other end to the ladder then at least the ladder won't move, perhaps I should do the same to me so if I do fall at least I won't hit the ground. I'll just be left dangling like a fish on a hook, so if you don't hear from me for a little while you know I will be on the end of a rope dangling 20' in the air admiring the view!

onwards and upwards then.............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home