Life in France

A not every day story of normal people trying to live their dream in France starting at the beginning and ending?

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Swallows in the barn

Not a naughty title either if you even thought about it! We have a pair of swallows nesting in the barn which I think is extremely brave of them considering that we have a French pussy that just loves eating birds & mice and playing with the occasional snake! She is particularly fond of fresh young birds that are just learning to fly and can't get away too quickly although she does catch adults as well just so that she is not thought of only as a child eater. The pair in the barn fly in and out on a regular basis and provide us with some amusement as we watch Madame la pussychat try to work out how quick she would have to be to catch one. Let's just say she ain't ever going to fast enough but the fledglings ah well that's different. So far they are safe in the nest but one day soon.....

If they are as bright as one of the parents then I don't hold out much hope for than at all. I was sat here the other day wondering what to write when there was a loud thump from the front porch. I thought I had a visitor so went to the door. Couldn't see anyone when I looked out so was about to go and sit down when I noticed a new pattern on the doorglass. It was a perfect imprint of a bird in flight in great detail, you could even see individual feathers! I looked outside and there on the wall was a very unhappy swallow. It had flown straight into the glasspane of the door. It was saying......" What the f**ck was that and why is it there? That hurt."
As I went to see if it was ok it managed to get airborne and wobbled off into the sky I suspect it has a mother of a headache now.

What on earth made it fly into the window and not the barn I have no idea. Brings a whole new meaning to "couldn't hit a barn door at twenty paces" eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home