Life in France

A not every day story of normal people trying to live their dream in France starting at the beginning and ending?

Monday, April 11, 2005

Back to Reality

Well, reality kicks in again at the home of the peasant. After a pleasant weekend off it is back to work as usual. The motorcycle racing yesterday was brilliant, it must be one of the few sports left where contact at speed still happens! What a way to win a race, last corner, punt your opposition out of the way by a daring? Brave? Foolhardy maneuver? But what excitement. You have to feel sorry for the guy in second though, so near and yet so far.

Anyway, its on to taking out some foam filling above a window and filling it in properly with cement then when it is dry just a thin skim of plaster. Tried my hand at plastering a small wall.... Now there's a laugh for you. Mixed the plaster up in accordance with the instructions, left it to rest for a couple of minutes as instructed on the sack, went to use it.. oh la la...... What a mess!
I have never plastered before although I have been plastered a few times in my life!!!!

I somehow got about a dozen trowels of plaster onto the wall and started to spread it out and level it when as if by magic it started to set. I don't know what they use to make it set but it is bloody efficient! Within five minutes I couldn't do anything with the stuff on the wall and the plaster in the mixing bucket was like rock. I had to take it outside, turn it upside down and hit the bottom with a hammer to make it come out. Thud, out it came in a perfect replica of the bucket. A great sculpture but sod all use as plaster!

respect for plasterers has gone up immensely. Just how the hell do you work with this stuff?
Answers on a postcard to me please....
Back to work, rubbing down the plaster that I couldn't level on the wall, it's all good fun though hey ho..................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home